Recording date: June 29, 2021
This session for families will explore children who tend to be shy, anxious and take longer to adapt to change. The session covers the following topics:
- Contributing factors to shyness, anxiety
- Stages of confident speaking
- What is anxiety?
- Overview of general strategies
- ... and more!
The session will discuss and provide strategies and supports available for your child.
- Book: The Selective Mutism Resource Manual, by Maggie Johnson and Alison Wintgens
- Book: Understanding Katie, Dr. Elisa Shipn-Blum
- Book: My Friend Daniel Doesn’t Talk, Sharon L. Longo
- Book: Cat’s Got Your Tongue? A Story for Children Afraid to Speak, Charles E. Schaefer, Ph.D.
- Article: “What To Do When Your Child Won’t Speak”
- Myths about Selective Mutism (Anxiety Canada)
- Selective mutism: What to do when your child won't speak (Today's Parent)
- The Silent Treatment: Helping Kids Overcome Selective Mutism (Parent Map)
- Selective Mutism in Children and Youth: Information for Parents and Caregivers (eMentalHealth.ca)